Thursday, September 20, 2012

Our top 80s bands

Hair.  Lots of hair.  And ridiculous outfits.  That's what dominated the rock music scene in the 1980s. And, despite having grown up in the 80s, I'm not a huge fan of much of the 80s music.  Therefore, finding a few good ones seemed to be a daunting task.  Today is our list of the top 80s music and/or bands.

My list:

3. Depeche Mode.  Synthrock is different than your typical hair group.  That's why I like them, other than them being a major influence to countless modern rock and metal bands.  How can you not respect that?  Remember Strangelove?  Revisit it below.

2. Scorpions.  I have always loved the Scorpions' mega hit, Rock you Like a Hurricane.  This is easily their most identifiable song, although they have put together several memorable hits.  The Scorpions are an exception to my rule of no hair bands.  You know the song I picked.  You're already singing it in your head.


1. Bon Jovi. For my next track, I'm going to post not one, but two tracks.  The first is the the original version of Livin' on a Prayer.  For some reason, they were not fans of the letter 'g' in the 80s.  I mean, think about it.  Have you ever seen a song title from the 80s spell out present tense verbs?  No.  They always use that last character on a needless (and in my opinion mindless) apostrophe to take the place of the 'g'.  Ok, I'm done with my rant.  The second song I'm posting is the rerecorded version put to disk in 1994.  I perefer the '94 version, but posting only that wouldn't be fair to the 'g' deficient original version.



Kristy's list is as follows.

Ah the 80's.  This is where some of my favorite music comes from.  I as opposed to my husband loved the 80's hair bands.  I grew up listening to bands like Bon Jovi, Poison, Alice Cooper, and Motley Crue.  Ha ha oh the memories.  But there was a lot of other great music coming out of the 80's as well like Madonna, Tears for Fears, Janet and Michael Jackson, and countless others.  We decided we were going to try and lump all of this music into one genre.  It's been difficult since I love so much of the music from this decade but her are my three favorite 80's bands.

3. Alice Cooper: Hell is Living Without You.  Although Alice Cooper started his music career in the late 1960's I believe his greatest music came out in the 80's. In 1989 Alice Cooper released the album Trash.  This is a great album full of many of his chart topping hits.  Hell Is Living Without You has a great guitar intro.  It has strings, it has drums and great back up vocals.  This is just one of those songs that I have to crank up and sing along with.   Revisit Alice Cooper's Hell Is Living Without You below.



2. Roxette: So Far Away.  I love Roxette.  They are a Swedish rock band who found popularity in 1986.  You might recognize them from hits like Joyride and It Must Have Been Love.  I chose the song So Far Away.  There are a few different versions of this song out there.  This is the 1986 version but you can hear another version of this song on their Tourism album.  This song fantastic. It just reminds me of the 80's with the drums and the whimsical keyboard effects.   Marie Fredriksson has an astoundingly melodic voice.  I can't help but listen to song after song once she gets started.  I really enjoy her music.  Check it out below.



1. Def Leppard: Love Bites.  Those of you who know me personally knew this was coming.  This is my favoritest song in the whole word.  I loved it the first time I heard it and it's still my favorite song to this day.  Love Bites was this bands first and only number one hit.  It appeared on the 1987 album Hysteria.  How do I put into words why I love love love this song?  I think that the intro to this song is powerful.  It has great lyrics and even though Joe Elliot doesn't have the clearest voice it just adds to the song.  I believe that he knows what he is singing about.  The lyrics combined with the guitar and the drums as the chorus begins sends goosebumps up my arms and makes my heart tighten.  I know that doesn't sound good but it's amazing.  Please listen to this song below.  It could change your life, it did mine. :) Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment