Thursday, August 9, 2012

Kendra Morris-Ride the Lightning


Before I get to talking about this song, let me put one thing in the clear: I can't stand Metallica. In my opinion, everything they do and say serves to destroy what music is supposed to be about.  Additionally, I find the entire genre Metallica performs under to be worn out and stale.  You can't mention old-school thrash without bringing up Metallica and their contemporaries, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax.  I find that to be sad.  James Hetfield's vocals irritate me to no end.

So when I found this track by Kendra Morris, I approached it with caution.  I mean really, how good can a Metallica cover song be, right?  As it turns out, Kendra Morris does not perform this song in anywhere near the same style as Metallica.  This isn't metal, it's jazz.  Incredibly, Morris knocks this one out of the park by recording the song better than Metallica was ever capable of.  Her vocal range is outstanding and she manages to invoke plenty more emotion than Hetfield ever did.  Her delivery is bluesy-soulful, while the music itself carries few if any marks of the old-school Metallica tune.  Make no mistake, this is a jazz track through and through. 

As it turns out, I stumbled across this track in the unlikeliest of places--a heavy metal blog that could care less about Metallica, to put it mildly.  They also enjoyed it, and I think you will too.  Listen to the track below and let us know what you think.

Visit Kendra Morris on Facebook here.

No comments:

Post a Comment